This blog has moved!!

I've made the jump to being self-hosted. I'll keep this blog up but for all new posts please visit http://www.designedbydawnnicole.com.

11.23.2011

The Ruffled Yoga Mini

My scrap bin is overflowing, so I made this skirt entirely out of fabric scraps from my bin.  It's a cute, knit mini with a yoga style waistband that's a breeze to make and comfy for playing in.  Never sewn with knits?  For this project, all you really need to know is to use a ball point needle in your machine.  I love knits because they don't fray and they don't really need ironing!  This skirt is great in the Fall/Winter with leggings underneath and will be perfect alone in the Spring/Summer.

RuffledYogaMiniMain

What You'll Need:
Knit Fabric Scraps (I used 3 colors, a navy waistband, magenta ruffle and grey skirt piece)
Ribbon, for the bow
Ball point needle on your sewing machine

To determine your fabric piece sizes, measure your model's waist circumference and length from waist to just above the knee.  My daughter wears a 2T and measures 21" around the waist and about 8" waist to knee.  So if your model is the same, you can use my measurements.  I made the hem edge of all my scraps from the edge of old tees/dresses so I didn't have to do any hemming!

Band: 19.5" x 4"
Skirt (cut 2): 8" x 13"
Ruffle (measurement with ruffling already done): 24.5" x 6"
I used the ruffled bottom of a dress I don't wear anymore so mine was pre-ruffled.  I added a few inches to make it ruffle a bit more when we add the waistband.  See below instructions if you're ruffling a piece of fabric from scratch.

To size this to your model:
Band: (waist circumference - 1.5") x 4"
Skirt: (waist to knee length) x (waist inches/2 + 2.5")
Ruffle:  Ratio is about 2:1 so you'll need a piece of fabric about 2x your model's waist measurement x (length from waist to knee - 2").  Here is a good tutorial on how to ruffle.

Your skirt and ruffle width will end up about 3" wider than the band (once all are sewn into tubes) if your measurements are correct.

Note:  Unless otherwise noted, I used a 1/4" seam allowance.  You can click on any of the smaller photos to enlarge them.


Cut out all your pieces.

Make the main skirt (grey fabric).  With right sides together, sew the short sides of the knit together.  Turn right side out and set aside.

Make the ruffled skirt piece.  You want your ruffle to be the same width as the straight skirt.  Hold it up to that tube and adjust ruffle so that it's the same size.  Then,with right sides of ruffled piece together (magenta fabric), sew the short end.  Turn right side out.  Now you have two tubes of fabric.

P1010933 P1010940

With right sides out, place the ruffle over the skirt and sew or baste together.  This will help hold the layers in place when we add the waistband.

P1010942

For the waistband, fold in half with right sides together so that the short ends meet and sew.  Turn right side out.  Now you have a tube shape and you want to flod it in half.  See below pic to see what I mean by this.

P1010936

Invert your waistband and place over the skirt (so all raw edges are at the top).  Pin evenly.  The waistband is smaller and we're going to stretch it as we sew it onto the skirt.  Again, your band will be about 3" smaller in width than your skirt pieces.

I probably could have gone even 1/2" to an 1" smaller on the waistband but I want it to fit her all year.  As is, it's loose enough for room to grow but snug enough to stay on.  Sew with a 3/8" seam (so that we cover the basting we did with the skirt layers), stretching skirt/band as you go.

P1010944

Then flip your waistband up and topstitch if needed (mine laid nicely so I skipped this).  Hem the layers or leave them raw depending on your preference or if you used pre-hemmed pieces like me. Then simply hand sew a ribbon bow on for a fun pop of color and try it on your little miss!  

RuffledYogaMini2 RuffledYogaMini1

Great play skirt for running (thus the blurry photo)...

RuffledYogaMini

For wrestling penguins...

RuffledYogaMini4

Rolling around...

RuffledYogaMini3

And of course, crashing cars by driving them off the entertainment center with your big brother...

RuffledYogaMini5

Gosh I love those chubby elbow dimples!!  Happy sewing! :)

As featured on:









As seen on CraftGossip.com

Linking up on:

Tip Junkie handmade projects Link Party

5 comments:

  1. I tried this as an experiment and didn't get it quite right. I stretched as I sewed, but the waist band was still almost as wide as the ruffle. What did I do wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable! I love the color combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is simply ADORABLE!!! I think this may end up as a Christmas present for my girls.I love your blog. I'm your newest follower.
    Would love to see you DIY Home Sweet home.
    Jamie
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    P.S. I have a linky every Monday. Would love for you to stop by and link up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fern, I sent you an email so we can get it figured out. :)

    Thanks everyone for the kind comments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! It is so cute...I'm just starting to sew a few skirts for my girls, I'll have to try this. I'm your newest follower from the I Heart Nap Time party. If you get a chance, I'd love you to stop by my blog & maybe follow along too.
    Sally
    loveofhomes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! They totally make my day. :) I may not be able to respond to every comment but I do read each and every one. If you require a response, please email me at designedbydawnnicole@gmail.com. Also, I ask that you please do not leave links in your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...