This blog has moved!!

I've made the jump to being self-hosted. I'll keep this blog up but for all new posts please visit http://www.designedbydawnnicole.com.

10.18.2012

DIY Spider Web Vase

DIY Spider Web Vase

DIY Spider Web Vase

DIY Spider Web Vase

It was a windy, overcast, very "Fall-ish" day when I took the pics of this project yesterday and the historic style of our new home certainly adds to the spooky factor of Halloween!  It looks like a long list of supplies but a lot of them are things most of you crafters should have on-hand already.  This was a really easy and fun project and it will be the perfect Halloween centerpiece in the dining room to go with my Halloween Mantle.

DIY Spider Web Vase

What You'll Need:
-Vase (I upcycled a glass one laying around the house)
-Mod Podge
-Foam Brushes and Small Paintbrush
-Yarn
-Glitter
-Hot Glue Gun
-Plastic Spider
-Acrylic Paints (I used Martha Stewart Crafts Paints in orange and red shades)
-Martha Stewart Liquid Gilding in Silver
-Foam Brushes
-Styrofoam Floral Cube
-Black Roses
-Plastic Spider

First, I cleaned the vase with glass cleaner and allowed to dry.  Then I took lengths of yarn and dipped them in Mod Podge.  I wrapped them around the vase to look like a web, starting at the bottom.  If you run out of yarn, just start a new strand.  I left a string hanging down at the top from which to "hang" the spider.  Be prepare, this step is messy!  Because of all the Mod Podge, I allowed the vase to dry overnight after this step.

DIY Spider Web Vase

While the vase dried, I painted the spider with the silver liquid gilding and then used orange on his back to paint a Black Widow shape.

The next day I painted the vase with a coat of Mod Podge and sprinkled fine glitter all over.  After a few hours drying time, I painted a final coat of Mod Podge to the vase.  When dry, I hot glued the spider to the string that was left "hanging" down.

DIY Spider Web Vase

Then I took a foam floral block and placed it in the bottom of the vase and stuck the black roses in randomly, shortening the stems of half of them.  I flared out the petals a bit and used red paint on the edges of the petals.

DIY Spider Web Vase

DIY Spider Web Vase

DIY Spider Web Vase



One Artsy Mama

4 comments:

  1. These are so fun! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun and festive! Stopping by from T T and J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh fun! I like that you even altered the flowers! I will be tucking that idea away for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. And love the purple glitter addition!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! They totally make my day. :) I may not be able to respond to every comment but I do read each and every one. If you require a response, please email me at designedbydawnnicole@gmail.com. Also, I ask that you please do not leave links in your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...